Chic AND Functional in the Office


I really do apologize for my sporadic posts, but I'm trying to get organized in the new house and trying to enjoy the summer at the same time. Part of the getting organized is getting M's work stuff (papers, binders, etc.) off my temporary-but-new dining room table, which meant a trip to the store on Sunday to see what's up. Just having him find time to come with me places (mostly because I need him to haul the heavy stuff home) is a task in itself, but I digress.



At the moment we've got three bedrooms sitting empty. One will eventually become a guest room, another will house clothes and shoes for now, and the third we're looking to turn into a chic--hopefully--and functional office. Looking at inspiration pics I can't help notice that while these offices are definitely glam the desks aren't really made for storage. And the truth is we need hidden places to shove things so we can achieve the appearance of harmonious organization.


We looked at IKEA'S Expedit desk/bookcase combo (thinking white--the room is grey with dark hardwood floors). Sleek, the bookcase offers the opportunity for extra storage especially if you invest in some pretty boxes or the drawers and doors you can buy to fit.



While I liked the Expedit I found myself more drawn to the Hemnes secretary (I mean, who wouldn't rather have a secretary than a desk?!) Not only is it functional with holes for wires and all that, but once it's closed up the Hemnes looks like any other piece of furniture. Which means that I could even still use the room as another guest bedroom without making people feel like they've been plunked in the office. Just set a chair in the corner ready for use when required and we'd be good to go!



The Hemnes even has another piece that fits on top for additional storage (and I'm all about hidden storage). I think I'd change the handles and it could work. I'm even liking the brown-grey colour, which looks different in store. What do you think? Any advice, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated!

Aside from desk shopping, Sunday turned out to be a pretty productive day. We bought a barbeque and a light for over the island (yet to hang it to see if I like it as much as I think I do). This week also saw the arrival of our chairs (pics soon--promise!), the ordering of the temporary countertop for the new island and we also got the additional stainless steel piece we needed to custom made for the hood fan. Progress!







Photos 1 and 2 via donnezmoi.blogspot.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...