Tyrese Gibson Interview


Tyrese Gibson has done it all. Whether singing syrupy melodies on a city bus for Coca-Cola, modeling for Tommy Hilfiger or doing his thing on the big screen, he's a tour de force. The Watts, Los Angeles, native's street edge has not diminished his mass appeal and even caught the attention of "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" masterminds Michael Bey and Steven Spielberg, who always had him in mind for the role. "I thought I'd have to wait another ten years before I ever received a call for a move like that," admits Tyrese. "But here I am." ESSENCE.com caught up with the single father to talk about his obsession with tattoos, how he really feels about his ex-wife, and why he's that brother who's going to cause mayhem while saving the day.

ESSENCE.COM: So you play tough guy USAF Tech Sargeant Epps and go toe-to-toe with the autobots in "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." Were you rough with the toys as a child?
TYRESE:
Well, you'll definitely see more of my character's serious side. There are less comedic moments between Josh and I. In regards to playing with toys as a child, I absolutely was a fan of "Transformers," watched the cartoons and had my collection of toys. Shoot, a few of those toys weren't even mine; I sort of borrowed them but never gave them back (laughs). I'm so much of a fan I just got my 75th tattoo of an autobot.

ESSENCE.COM: Whoa! So when do you plan to stop with the body art, after you're completely covered or when you stop making "Transformer" sequels?
TYRESE:
(Laughs.) I'm done for awhile. But I tell you, I've never in my life seen a movie with so much action and drama or bonded with the cast in a way where we all look out for one another. It's been a fun ride.

ESSENCE.COM: And just to switch gears a bit, you went through a rollercoaster ride of your own as a recent divorcee. What has been the most difficult love lesson you've had to learn?
TYRESE:
My ex-wife and I were together for six or seven years before we married. I learned that sometimes marriage doesn't work. When you get married you vow to share your life experiences with someone else. If you happen to be as busy as I am, your mind and spirit is all you have and if anything is taking away from that on any level then it might be time to re-evaluate that situation. At the end of the day, you have to love and value yourself and your happiness to walk away sometimes, even if you love that person.

ESSENCE.COM: Have you two remained amicable?
TYRESE:
I don't have anything negative to say about my daughter's mom. She's an amazing mother and I wouldn't have married her if I didn't think so. I know that I contributed to some of the conflicts that we had. I wish nothing but the best for her and I am focused on being a responsible father to our beautiful daughter.

ESSENCE.COM: Well, your baby girl will always have fond memories of you because you've been immortalized on the big screen and causing "Mayhem" in the comic book world.
TYRESE:
Yes, my comic book "Mayhem" has already pre-sold 10,000 copies already in one story and it has the comic book world going crazy because if a comic sells 15,000 worldwide that's consider huge. The energy and momentum is crazy among comic enthusiasts.

Read the rest of the interview here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...