SAG Awards 2011 Fashion Rundown: Red, White and Sofia's Blue

I didn't watch the SAG Awards tonight, but I did go online to devour pictures of what everyone was wearing. The first thing I noticed was the proliferation of red and white, along with ponytails and belts. I also liked that several actresses went for looser, more relaxed dresses as well as shorter hemlines. I think an event like the SAG Awards doesn't have to be as buttoned-up as the Oscars. Here are my thoughts...

Mila's red McQueen reminds me of a floral Elie Saab that Rachel McAdams wore to the Oscars awhile back. Regardless, I liked Mila's dress. Relaxed, flirty and young, this dress was perfect for Mila.

One thing Sofia Vergara knows how to do well is set the red carpet on fire. I adore the colour of this Cavalli and the way it hugs her body is just beyond. Goddess. Plus I love the Chopard jewels.

I liked Dianna Argon in this ankle-length Chanel Haute Couture gown.
She's a gorgeous girl, even if her eye make-up was a bit on the heavy side.

I think Jane Krakowski is adorable and she shines in her
sequined Badgley Mischka. Another short dress winner.


Rosario Dawson looks fresh and pretty in this
pale lemon J. Mendel. Love the accessories,
especially the brightly coloured earrings.

I've never been a huge fan of red-on-red-carpet but I love Tina Fey and she's been doing so much better as of late so I will give this Oscar de la Renta a win. It fits her beautifully.

Helena Bonham Carter's shoes match. Win. 

I'm on the fence about January's Carolina Herrera.
An improvement on the recent Versaces, anyway.


Nude and Neutrals

Angie Harmon likely won't ever make it to the Oscars so it was fitting that she pulled out the Monique Lhuillier princess gown for the SAGs. Angie has the height and figure to pull off this kind of whimsical, feathered dress (very Penelope Cruz-esque), which I think stops just short of Big Bird territory.

Hilary Swank's Versace is pretty, but I think the colour makes it look a bit blah. I'm thinking it might have read different on camera. I'm torn on this one. I liked that her clutch matched her sequins, too.

 More nude neutrals. Jayma Mays' drapey Jenny
Packham suits her skin tone, though.

Glee's Heather Morris also went for neutral--and feathers.
She looks pretty and romantic in this Romona Keveza,
and out of her cheerleader uniform.

I liked the shorter lengths we saw on this red carpet and Modern Family's Ariel Winter looked great in her vintage-inspired dress. Pretty and age appropriate.

White is Right

I think Lea Michele was the best dressed in the white brigade in this Oscar de la Renta. Less stiff than the gowns we usually see her in, I'm liking the more relaxed style on her.

I'm undecided about Amy Adams' Hervé L. Leroux.
If I just had a baby and had a body like that I'd likely want
to show the whole world, too, but something about it just
looks uncomfortable and unnatural. Maybe the stark colour. 

Okay, Eva, you know I think you're gorgeous. You know I'm all for Tony Parker weeping in a corner, but I'm going to say this just once: If your dress' draping lets me see your boobs you're trying too hard.  I think if this Georges Hobeika didn't have such a dramatic neckline I'd like it more, as is I'm afraid she's going to fall out of it.

Not loving Natalie in Azzaro with Vivier clutch.
The more I look at this dress, I think the top is pretty.
I think it's her helmet hair that is throwing me off.

So Winona went for the crazed ballerina look.
Appropriate, I suppose.


Yawn
 

Julianna's YSL looks like a bridesmaid dress to me.
And, again, I've never been a huge fan of red on
red carpets. Beautiful Bavna earrings, though.

Pretty colour but Sarah Hyland in Max Mara
looks like Bridesmaid No. 2.

This Thierry Mugler just feels so heavy in contrast.
And kinda boring.


 Not Loving

Jennifer Lawrence clashes with the carpet and
 all those drapey things are distracting. I can't
even believe this is a de la Renta. Just, no.

O.M.G. I'm blind.
Hailee is adorable but her Prada is not.

Someone please buy Christina Hendricks (in L'Wren Scott) a mirror.
This is, what? Her twentieth bad red carpet dress in a row?
 I've had about all I can take.

I'm not getting Nicole's Nina Ricci.
And to me that Fred Leighton necklace
doesn't suit the dress' neckline.

Not loving Claire Danes' Vuitton.
Especially that frilly stuff around the bust.

Didn't they already have Miss America this year?
Somebody forgot to give Kim the memo.

What were your fave red carpet looks?
Least faves?


Photos via People, Yahoo, BellaSugar





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...