Getaways Guest Blog Series: Alaina at Live Creating Yourself

This week I'm happy to be hosting the super sweet Alaina from the lovely Live Creating Yourself, who has been kind enough to share her vacation essentials. Alaina not only has a great eye for design (you should check out what she's done to her beautiful apartment), but she's a very talented graphic designer as well. After checking out her blog why not hop over to the LCY Graphics Etsy store -- several of her chic prints are travel related!



Yay, Connie, for hosting a vacation series! Traveling is my favorite thing to do. I plan my life around my trips and usually have the year's worth of vacations planned out before the ball drops at midnight on New Year's Eve! So far in 2010, I've visited Mexico, New Orleans, and DC, and have Thailand and Martha's Vineyard to look forward to this summer. (Needless to say I'll spend the fall months paying off my credit card that covered my many airline tickets.) C'est la vie!

Favourite Vacation Spot

Fly me away to any European city and I'll be peachy-keen. Thus far I've spent time in London, Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Florence, the Italian Riviera, Prague, Krakow, and Munich, and loved each and every one. I like that there are so many things to do in a city, and if I am going to spend a lot of money and use up my precious vacation days from work, I'd like to get the most bang for my buck; so cities are my preference over beach or countryside vacays.




Where to Stay

Some place cheap and centrally located. I try to be in my hotel as little as possible - only for primping and snoozing - so I am not picky about the bathroom amenities and pillowcase thread count. I much prefer to spend my money on good food, historical tours, and shopping. In other words, I'm a big believer in Holiday Inns.



Where to Eat


I normally find this out one of three ways: ask friends and acquaintances who have already visited for recommendations, ask the concierge at the hotel for local favorites or wander around the streets and choose a restaurant based on whether I like their storefront. I also try to hunt out dishes the city is best known for and give them a try. After all, where else will you get better pierogies than Krakow? Or better onion soup au gratin than Paris? The answer is nowhere, my friends. Nowhere.



What to Do

My favorite thing to do on vacation is grab a map and wander around (usually only using the map to find my way back). I love to sit outside at cafes and people watch. I love popping in and out of pretty stores, occasionally buying something for my home as a memento. And my must-see spot in any city is the waterfront - whether that's along a river, lake, sea, or ocean. I love water and this almost always provides a great place to walk, sit and relax, write in my journal, or enjoy a picnic. I like museums in theory, but I'd rather be out and about on the city streets than looking at artifacts behind glass.



Five Vacation Essentials

5) Extra space in my suitcase - because inevitably, I will shop

4) Shoes for various occasions - at least one pair of heels and one pair of flats

3) Pepto Bismol - big heart, weak stomach when it comes to local cuisine

2) Camera - to show off my journey on Facebook

1) Journal - I started keeping a travel journal when I visited Italy with my Nana five years ago. I wrote in it every night at my mother's recommendation and have kept one on all of my trips since. A picture reminds you what you saw, a journal reminds you how you felt when you saw it. Plus it is so fun to read years later and recall the funny things people said along the way, the misadventures you tried to forget, and it's great to use as a reference for the next time you go back.


What I Pack
*Packing Tip* Wear your bulkiest outfit on the plane to save room. For example, when I want to bring my favorite tall leather boots on a trip, they are always on my feet when I travel because they'd take up way too much room in my suitcase. Other than that, here's a standard list:


1. One pair of stretchy dark jeans that can be dressed up. I usually live in those for most of my trip.

2. My black Minnie's from J.Crew because they're cute, versatile, and take up hardly any room in the suitcase.
3. My navy Tory Burch blazer is another must-have, which I also wear on the plane because it's bulkier than tops and other light-weight items.

4. A selection of cute tops - I usually pack too many




5. A dress to feel fancy.

6. Cute skinny belts to snazz up any outfit, and obviously, to keep my pants up.

7. Two purses: my big messenger bag for the day and a cute clutch for nights.
8. An array of shoes, but almost always a pair of heels, flats, and my brown leather boots (for fall/winter traveling).

9. And most of my jewelry collection! I'm not fully dressed unless I have my earrings and bracelets on. I have the best jewelry travel case from J.Crew that makes packing my bangles and dangly earrings a breeze!

AND a cardigan for finicky weather (not pictured)




What I Bring for the Journey...
iPod, sunglasses to help me sleep, snacks (usually Goldfish crackers or Trail Mix), eye-drops for overseas flights and a book that I've already started and know will keep my interest.


Favorite Travelling Companion

Oooh tough question - I'd say either my boyfriend or my sister. I've travelled extensively with both (him throughout Europe and the California coast, her throughout England and China), and they're both the best. The most important thing I look for in a travel companion is someone who is laid-back, adventurous, and likes to eat!



The Next Spot I'd Like to Visit...

I cannot choose just one! This is my current "I want to go there" list:

Five European cities I'd like to see: Granada, Spain; Marseilles, France; Nice, France; Greek Islands and Moscow, Russia.

Five Non-European countries I want to visit: India, Egypt, Peru (Machu Picchu), South Africa and New Zealand.

All photos courtesy of Live Creating Yourself





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...