Bright Lights: Loving Neon Now...and for Spring 2011


I think by now my adoration of all things neon and chartreuse, and neon chartreuse, has been well documented. I even did a post about another of my fave colours--electric blue--and how great it looks with neon yellow. Admittedly, I've been disappointed in a lot of the neon available in everyday stores and have yet to clap eyes on a neon clutch of any kind that could compete with the Rebecca Minkoff bag or Jimmy Choo clutch that have set my heart aflutter.


It's frustrating when you have a look in your mind and can't seem to replicate it without blowing your entire clothing budget to smithereens. And even though now it's fall, when darker colours always seem appropriate, I can't quite shake the neon bug. Maybe it's just the wishful thinker in me (yes, maybe I'm wishing it wasn't going to snow in this country ever again). I also think neon is great because there's a shade that works for everyone. Yellow make you look too green? Then try hot pink or orange.


When I happened upon these photographs by Tommy Ton backstage at the Spring 2011 Proenza Schouler show (the first photo is also courtesy of Jak and Jil) my heart stopped a bit and the neon maniac in me came out of hibernation. Something about these colour combos just speak to me and, well, make me happy.
 

Lace, sequins and neon? Hello, beautiful! 


Not that Proenza Schouler was the only designer showing hot colours on the runway for Spring/Summer 2011. To further show the trend has legs brights were also seen on those attending Fashion Week and on celebrities from Sarah Jessica Parker to Claire Danes.


Christopher Kane's Spring/Summer 2011 show featured vibrantly coloured pieces that were very "Princess Margaret on acid" according to his sister. [via]


While Jasper Conran Spring/Summer 2011 was also full of ladylike looks, this time in slightly more subdued shades like chartreuse.


As a Toronto blogger I'd be remiss not to mention the fact that neon has also shown up at LG Fashion Week for 2011. Pink Tartan's Kimberly Newport-Mimran sent a slew of glam 70s-inspired looks down the runway and while there was some nude and khaki, as well as ikat prints in shades like white and blue, the majority of the colours were big, bright and bold. [via]


This acid yellow chiffon dress with horsebit detailing is just one of the Spring 2011 Pink Tartan looks I loved. [via] Aside from recent runway shows I was also reminded about how much I love these bright hues when, on a recent shopping trip, I spotted some can't-miss-'em jewellery from Tom Binns. (I apologize in advance for the cell phone quality pictures, I really need to get in the habit of toting a camera around like a real blogger).


I died. Seriously. I think M had to pick my jaw up off the floor while I fumbled for my phone. Sure, there's always the chance that a piece like this will fall on the wrong side of tacky, but there's also something so fun and unique about it. Not your standard statement necklace to be sure.


So, loving the Tom Binns, although the prices might be a tad high for jewellery of this type. I mean, they aren't the most classic pieces. Take the bracelet below, for instance, you can grab it on net-a-porter for only $440. Which is only $420 more than I usually spend on my trendy jewellery at Forever 21.


I might just have to settle for this Splendid tank instead. At $44 the decimal is in the right place and the colour, well, it's just right, too.



Or maybe I'll grab one of the neon headbands I've been eyeing at the lovely Marcela's Etsy shop, Tea Accessories...




So what do you think?
Are you embracing neon with me?





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...