Did the New Star Wars Suck?

It's a question many people have raised since the Phantom Menace and the appearance of Jar Jar Binks. Does the the New Star Wars suck? A new documentary asks that very question.

Yes, an entire contingent of dedicated fans and critics have assembled to put George Lucas on trial in "The People Vs George Lucas".

Now when I first saw this, I thought, "My God do we have to discuss Jar Jar Binks again." I mean in my opinion the movies are done. It is what it is. All we can do now is accept the story for what it is. And really people... these movies were not made for 20 year olds, or 40 year olds. They were made for kids. That is the funny thing about all this. We grew up loving Star Wars but we lost sight of why. We were kids and it was never that hard to accept the world of Star Wars when you are a young boy or girl.



But... hey. As a grown, up I had to notice the flaws. If you pushed me for my opinion. I have some.

For instance, how about developing characters? Darth Maul?.. offers nothing. He shows up; looks angry and menacing, fights and dies. What is with that? I felt no real reason to fear this character, no appreciation for why he used a double-sided light-saber or any connection with him as a truly villianous character.

Then my big problem that held the remaining two movies back... Hayden Christensen can't act. The whining he did as a petulant Anakin Skywalker makes me want to fast forward any time he goes into that bit during the films. I prayed Lucas would force him into some sorty of heavy duty acting clinic after Episode One. He needed to look at how Mark Hammel did his slightly whiney routine. It was sublime. Hayden's embodyment of the Skywalker family triat was like fingernails going down a chalkboard. That was a real low point in the films.

So in they same way I've had my say about Darth Maul and Hayden Christensen--many other Star Wars fans are taking up arms to convict George Lucas of destroying his once beloved Star Wars franchise. Check it out. http://peoplevsgeorge.com

-Lars Hindsley
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...